Pistachio is one of our all time favourite ingredients to bake with so we made a simple and delicious cake with pistachio, white chocolate and zingy raspberries!
Pistachios can be used in so many ways, we’ve baked them into soft chocolate and pistachio buns, we’ve sprinkled them over a pomegranate and pink grapefruit pavlova and we’ve even combined them with salted caramel in these macarons (yum!) This week, we’ve baked them into a sponge cake which keeps it really moist and tasty and combined that with raspberries and a little white chocolate for some sweetness!
The recipe stays fairly true to a traditional sponge, but to make the cake extra pistachio-y we’ve blitzed up some pistachios to mix in with the flour and also some roughly chopped ones to mix through at the end with chunks of white chocolate. Along with the raspberries that we just dropped on the top right before baking, these give a great combination of flavours and the whole raspberries create bursts of flavour in the cake! By adding the raspberries on top once the cake is in the tin, it allows them to sink down of their own accord so some stay on the top and some end up halfway down – rather then mixing them through and them all ending up at the bottom!
We really wanted to keep the look of this cake ultra simple and rustic, no layers or icing which is shocking from us, we know, but just baked the sponge and then drizzled with (a slightly excessive amount of) melted white chocolate. This is not only tasty but also adds another colour in the mix with the green of the sponge and bright pink of the raspberry.
- 175g butter
- 200g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 50g finely blitzed pistachio
- 50g roughly chopped pistachio
- 200g self raising flour
- 150g raspberries
- 100g white chocolate, roughly chopped
- 100g white chocolate (for decoration)
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in 1 egg at a time and mix until combined afte each egg.
- Pour in half the flour and combine, then add the milk and mix until full incorporated.
- Add the rest of the flour and the finely blitzed pistachio and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chopped white chocolate and the chopped pistachios.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined deep 6" cake tin, place the raspberries on top and bake at 170C (or 150C fan) for 40-50 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool.
- Once cool, melt the white chocolate and drizzle over the cake.