To us, mulled anything is the best drink for over the festive period. These teabags can be used for mulling pretty much whatever you fancy… wine, cider, apple juice (boring/child friendly option). They’re also a lovely idea for a homemade gift!
There are a few options for what to use to create your teabag. You can buy teabags which you fill yourself, normally used with loose leaf tea or you can use a muslin or silk fabric (if you do decide to use a fabric make sure it is made from completely natural fibres and isn’t dyed). We chose to use coffee filters.
Our coffee filters were like mini bags so we just tied them up with string! We think these look super cute and would make a great gift, you could put together a mulled wine or cider kit with some teabags and wine or cider which is great for a christmas present or to take along to any festive parties!
Our tea bags have cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice. The combination of spices can be altered to your own preference, if for example you like cinnamon just add in an extra teaspoon. We also added in a few tablespoons of brown sugar, some star anise, a cinnamon stick and a few slices of orange while we heated the wine to add extra flavour and sweetness.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar (optional)
- Put the ground cinnamon, mixed spice, nutmeg and cloves into the teabag and fasten shut however you're chosen teabag method requires.
- To use, simple put your chosen drink to mull into a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Put in the teabag, cinnamon stick, sugar and a few slices of orange.
- Serve hot.
- The contents of the teabag can be adapted to personal preference, this is just our favourite mix of spices. For example if you want to eliminate something, simply replace it with more of something else.
If you’re using the round type coffee filters, here is a few tips to making them into a tea bag…
You will need: coffee filters, a stapler or string and your mulling spices
Cut the sides of your coffee filter into a rectangle
Put your mulling spices into the middle of the filter
Fold both sides into the middle
Loosely fold the rectangle in half and shake the bag for all the spices to keep enclosed in the bag
Fold down the top and staple