Today we have chosen a simple bread recipe to go with our cheese & wine night. I’m sure you can all understand what a cheese & wine night is, and appreciate just how amazing they are. Friends getting together, couple of bottles of wine, accompanied by all the cheeses in the world… and what could go with cheese better than a load of home baked bread.
A basic loaf with a little bit of cheese & herbs for that extra flavour. Purely for the purpose of our loaf to look pretty, we went for Paul Hollywoods famous 8-strand plait. Which isn’t actually as hard as The Great British Bake Off contestants made it out to be! As long as you follow the steps carefully, it’s pretty easy.
However, it’s completely up to you as a three strand plait looks just as nice, or even a straightforward two strand twist – it’s all going to taste the same.
- 450g strong white bread flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 25g butter, cubed
- 7g fast action yeast
- 85g mature cheddar, grated
- 2 tbsp dried herbs
- 150ml warm milk, plus extra for glazing
- 150ml warm water
- Put the flour & salt in a large bowl, rub in the butter.Mix in the grated cheese, yeast & herbs, we used parsley, thyme & oregano.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the milk & water, using a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix to make a smooth dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead by hand for a couple on minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film & allow to rise till doubled in size.
- We did an 8 stand plait for our loaf (instructions below), but feel free to do whatever plait or shape you like.
- Place on a floured baking tray, cover and set aside for its second prove, around 30 mins.
- Glaze the top of the loaf using a little milk & bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 35-40 minutes.
8 strand plait
Step 1 place 8 under 7 and over 1
Step 2: place 8 over 5
Step 3: place 2 under 3 and over 8
Step 4: place 1 over 4
Step 5: place 7 under 6 and over 1, Repeats step 2-5
We though we should include a photo of our cheese & wine night for a little inspiration and to make you be like ‘right guys, we need a cheese & wine night, STAT xxx’. Enjoy!