We are both HUGE fans of peanut butter – sit there eating it out the tub with spoon kind of love. Could live on peanut butter, could live for peanut butter etc etc. Well today we are using hazelnuts to make homemade hazelnut butter and seeing just how good homemade butters are, so here goes…
- 500g hazelnuts
- 3 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Roast the hazelnuts for 10-15mins at 190ºC
- Once removed from the oven, rub the hazelnuts together between a tea towel (this will help loosen the gritty skins off the nuts for a smoother butter) Removing the skins is tedious but worth it
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a food processor and blitz for around 5 mins until it turns into a smooth, creamy butter
- Put the butter into jars or containers with a tightly fitted lid
- Any nuts work in just the same way. You can also add cocoa powder for a chocolate flavour or more sugar if you have a sweet tooth (OR no sugar at all for a healthier hazelnut butter for all you clean eaters)
Check out our cupcakes we made using our Hazelnut Butter here!
We used some of our nutbutter in a simple buttercream – it tasted EXACTLY like the inside of a Kinder Bueno, not even joking.