We created this refreshing and fruity cocktail with gin and prosecco to go along side some grapefruit & honey madeleines, perfect for brunch with friends or a nice summers evening!
This cocktail starts with the base of any great drink, gin. Which is shaken with ice, honey and a little pink grapefruit juice and then, finished as wonderfully as it starts, topped with a splash of prosecco. The grapefruit and honey are well balanced to give a zesty citrus flavour with a sweet edge. By using honey, we find that the sweetness is a nice natural flavour rather than being overly sugary!
One of the great things about this cocktail is its straight forward method, although we both have experience working behind the bar, it’s not at all needed for this recipe. In fact, you can probably get away without even needing a cocktail shaker if you can creatively come up with another container to use! Once you’ve got your hands on an appropriate shaking implement, simply add the gin and honey give it a little stir to dissolve, then tip in the ice and grapefruit juice and shake what your mama gave ya! (assuming what your mother gave you was a shaker filled with ice/gin/honey/juice…)
The trick to knowing when you’ve shaken enough is when the whole shaker feels icy cold in your hands, you don’t need to spend 5 mins working up a thirst! Once shaken, pour out into the chilled coupe or martini glass, top with prosecco (this is the bit that makes it a fizz). Then squeeze or twist your peel over the glasses and run around the rim before dropping into the glass. This releases the oils in the peel giving a truly great aroma and therefore improving the taste/drinking experience. (sounds a bit OTT but trust us this step is like the cherry on top!)
All that’s left to do now is enjoy and probably make several more rounds of them… Make sure to check out our upcoming madeleine recipe with mirroring flavours to enjoy alongside this cocktail!
- 50ml gin
- 2 tsp honey
- 100ml pink grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit peel to garnish
- Fill 2 coupe or martini glasses with ice to chill
- In a cocktail shaker stir the honey in with the gin to dissolve it, add the grapefruit juice
- Add ice to the shaker and shake vigorously till the shaker is ice cold
- Discard the ice from the martini glasses and strain the cocktail into them, top up with a little prosecco
- Cut two coins of grapefruit peel for garnish, squeezing each over the glasses and running the peel around the rim of each glass before dropping into the drink