Creme Egg Pancakes, need we say more? The ultimate treat for pancake day
So yes, we took chocolate flavour fluffy american style pancakes and filled them with chopped up pieces of creme egg… had enough chocolate yet? No? Good, because then we topped it with a hot ganache sauce.
We are big fans of anything in pancake form, american style or crepes, we really don’t discriminate! We’ve got a plethora of recipe on this site already, classic american, a mille crepe cake, fluffy lemon ones topped with mascarpone and blueberry and 3 different crepe recipe from the past few days. We also happen to be big fans of the humble creme egg in all it’s sugary glory. We’ve plenty recipes on this theme too, classic cupcakes, the very popular millionaires shortbread and even doughnuts fried with a whole creme egg in the middle. So, yes, you get the picture, we’re BOTH creme egg and pancake fanatics, and what does a fanatic do? They make the ultimate, most indulgent and delicious creme egg pancake stack they can!
So we took our favourite american pancake recipe, ad we made it chocolate flavour, i.e. we added a little less flour and substituted with cocoa powder. We didn’t go overboard with this as we knew there was far more chocolate to come so just a subtle 30g. Then you need to let your batter rest for at least half an hour so the gluten can relax, this helps to get really fluffy pancakes so it’s an important step!
Then it came to cooking them, we added about 1/3 a cup of batter into the pan then popped in some chopped up pieces of creme egg and topped with another tablespoon or so of batter to cover up the creme egg. Cook for 1-2 mins on each side and the pop on a plate to serve. At this point some may have thought there was enough chocolate, but not us. We made a hot chocolate ganache sauce to top them with, basically a loose ganache that we served warm. We also added a pinch of salt to the ganache, adding a salty edge helps a little with stopping the stack from becoming too insanely, overwhelmingly sweet, we really recommend it!
- 120g plain flour
- 30g cocoa
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 250g whole milk
- 25g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 3-4 creme eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 100g milk chocolate
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Then in a smaller bowl or jug whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in your wet mixture and mix well until you have a well combined, smooth mixture, it's best if you can let your mixture sit on the side for about half an hour.
- In a large non stick frying pan, on a medium to high heat, grease lightly with oil and ladle in some of the mixture, about 2-3 tbsp then pop on a few pieces of chopped creme egg and cover with more pancake mixture.
- Cook for 1-2 mins on each side.
- Heat the cream until it's almost boiling then pour over the chocolate and let sit for a minute or two so that it melts, then stir until you have a smooth glossy ganache.
- Stack about 3 pancakes on a plate, pour over some of the ganache and drop some chopped pieces of creme egg on top.