This Easter we have invented this Creme Egg mega cake. Using all our past creme egg recipes and turning them all into a big drip cake.
The premise for this was simple, make everything about this cake creme egg related, the only bake we chose not to add on was the creme egg doughnut as even we could see that might have been taking it a little too far….
We used a nice light, moist chocolate sponge and filled it the same way we filled our Creme Egg Macarons using our white & yellow creme egg fondant and chocolate buttercream. Just like in the macs, we piped chocolate buttercream in a ring around the edge of the cake, a dot in the middle and then a ring of white fondant and a ring of yellow. We loved filling it this way as it means that every slice has the classic white and yellow fondant!
As we said, we used a really great and very moist recipe for our sponges, this has become our go to for all chocolate cakes these days, it’s a little strange adding hot water into the cake mix. But just go with it and we’re sure you’ll love the outcome as much as we do! Because it’s so moist it can be tricky to handle and decorate if you don’t allow it to complete cool, we even recommend leaving it in the fridge for a little while to help firm it up even more!
We covered the cake with the chocolate buttercream after crumb coating it first. We let that set up in the fridge for a little while and then dripped some white and yellow icing down the sides then dripped a chocolate ganache and covered the top with it. So once the cake was decorated, then came all the creme egg adornments, we piled on top a couple of the macarons, some meringues striped with yellow, a few pieces of our infamous creme egg millionaires shortbread and then some mini creme eggs plus one full sized one just for good measure!
- 260g plain flour
- 80g cocoa powder
- 400g sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 240ml vegetable oil
- 240ml yogurt
- 240ml boiling water
- 150g golden syrup
- 90g butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 375g icing sugar
- yellow food coloring
- 500g icing sugar
- 200g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- splash of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Some watered down white and yellow fondant
- All the creme egg goodies you can get your hands on!
- In your stand mixer, mix together all the dry cake ingredients
- Add the oil, vanilla, eggs & yogurt and mix until combined
- Finally add the boiling water, scrape down the bowl and give a final quick mix
- Pour the mixture evenly between greased and lined cake tins
- Bake at 150C for 25-30mins
- Add butter, golden syrup, salt, and vanilla extract to a bowl and mix together until well combined.
- Then add in the icing sugar, a little at a time, with the water until all of it is mixed in well.
- Take half of the mixture and place in another bowl. Add a few drops of yellow food colouring and mix until evenly coloured. Add more colouring until you reach the desired Creme Egg yolk yellow.
- Put the each of the mixtures in a piping bag.
- In a small bowl cream the butter.
- Add in a little icing sugar at a time, making sure to fully combine.
- After half of the icing sugar has been added add the cocoa powder, milk and vanilla extract and continue the process.
- Once everything is mixed together beat for a further 2-3 mins to make the buttercream nice and fluffy, then place it into a piping bag.
- Place one sponge onto a board and top with a ring of chocolate buttercream and fill with the white and yellow fondant.
- Place the next sponge on top and repeat and then place the final sponge on top, leave in the fridge for 15mins to firm up.
- Crumb coat with the chocolate fondant and pop back in the fridge for another 15-30 mins, then cover the cake with a layer of chocolate buttercream.
- Drip some white and yellow fondant down the sides then top with ganache and drip some of this down the sides too, we find it easiest to do this with a piping bag and then an offset spatula to smooth out over the top.
- Then pile on any and all the creme egg goodies you have!