We put chorizo inside of sausage rolls, obviously it’s going to be great!
Sausage rolls are great – they’re easy to put together, can be prepared in advance and they’re a real crowd pleaser! There’s something great about having people round and pulling a tray of sizzling hot sausage rolls out of the oven for everyone to feast on. Got some vegetarians to feed, no problem! Check out our falafel rolls, a great veggie alternative and they’re delicious! (or maybe we’re just falafel obsessed..?) This isn’t the first meat based ones we’ve done either, we’ve got breakfast ones and for the festive season, turkey, stuffing and cranberry!
Anyway back to the rolls at hand, CHORIZO! As much as we would love to literally just wrap puff pastry around a chorizo ring.. even we can admit that maybe that’s a little much… So for the meat filling of these we took some normal sausage meat and then about 150g chorizo which we removed the skin of and chopped up finely. Then in a bowl we mixed these together with some seasonings, including a generous amount of smoked paprika to enhance the flavours of the spicy sausage! We also have developed a habit of including a generous sqeeze of brown sauce, which is labelled in the recipe as 1 tbsp, as it just has a magical way of enhancing the flavour of the sausage meat beautifully!
Once you’ve mixed this together so it’s well incorporated, roll out your puff pastry, you only want this to me 2-3mm thick, into a large reactangle. We usually go for about 20x40cm so we can cut it in half lengthways. You want to creat a sausage-esque shape with your meat so that you have an even amount in each roll once they’re sliced. Then brush one side of the pastry with egg wash and roll the pastry over the meat. Slice up into whatever size you’re after, you may want to have a few larger ones about 10cm long or a whole batch of 3/4cm rolls if you’re having a party/picnic/buffet.
We love to sprinkle a some poppy seeds on top of our sausage rolls. Then it’s time to bake, make sure you have the join in the pastry on the bottom as this helps to stop them coming undone. They should take about 25 mins to cook through and crisp up. Once lovely and golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before serving.
- 350g puff pastry
- 400g sausage meat
- 150g chorizo, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp brown sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg (for eggwash)
- Combine your sausage meat, chorizo and seasonings in a bowl.
- Roll out the pastry into a large rectangle about 2-3mm thick roughly 20x40cm and cut in half lengthways.
- Form long sausages of the meat pixture to evenly lay along the length of both pieces of pastry.
- Brush egg down one side of the pastry, roll the other side over the meat and then roll this over onto the egg washed pastry so it completely wrtaps around the meat.
- Slice up into pieces - 3-4cm for small one or around 10cm for largers rolls.
- Place on a lined baking tray with the pastry seam at the bottom and brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 220C/200C fan for 25 mins or until golden brown.