We’ve all made, decorated and eaten normal gingerbread, it’s a christmas staple. But we like to apply the theory of ‘chocolate improves everything’ wherever possible!
This was such a fun recipe to make, we made it by essentially just shoving all the ingredients in a food processor, so it couldn’t have been much easier. The chocolate flavour created by the addition of cocoa really help to enhance the ginger and cinnamon spices in the biscuit. If chocolate gingerbread isn’t your thing, check out our go to gingerbread recipe here, that we used to make our gingerbread houses!
Now we’ve explained our adding chocolate makes everything better theory already, so it doesn’t take much explaining why we decided to decorate these biscuits with chocolate! We went for dark chocolate as one of our all time favourite flavour combinations is dark chocolate and ginger. But you can use milk or white if you fancy, or a combination of all 3! (there’s no such thing as too much chocolate, is there…?)
These are great biscuits for decorating with kids over the festive period, as you can really go to town with sprinkles, chocolate, icing, anything you fancy! (also works very well with big kids, such as ourselves)
This gingerbread man is wearing gingerbread man pyjama bottoms (just incase you couldn’t tell)
- 300g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 100g butter cubed
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 175g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Add all the ingredients apart from the egg and golden syrup into a food processor, pulse until you have a breadcrumb like texture and there are no large lumps of butter
- In a separate bowl beat together the eggs and golden syrup.
- Pour the egg mixture into the food processor and continue blitzing until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for about 30 mins.
- Roll the dough out to 3-5mm thick and cut out your shapes, we went for the classic gingerbread men.
- Bake at 190°C for 8-15 mins depending the size of the pieces.
- Allow to cool and then get decorating!!
Is this a gingerbread man wearing dungarees? Why yes, yes it is.
This unfortunate soul was supposed to be Selena Gomez (don’t ask… we were getting ‘creative’) But suffered a tragic accident… sorry selena!