If you’re a Marmite lover then this one’s for you, crepes filled with the delicious stuff and gooey melted mature cheddar.
Disclosure: This posts includes some affiliate links which, just means that, at no cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, we’re Marmite lovers. Do disrespect to the haters out there but why not find yourself another crepe recipe, how about our brie bacon and fig chutney ones we posted about the other day?? The rest of you, keep on reading.
Cheese and Marmite, it’s a timeless combo, pop it in a pastry pinwheel, fill soft fluffy buns with it, spread it on the bread when you’re making cheese on toast (you can thank us later for that one if you’ve not tried it before). So according to our logic, why not fill a crepe with it, we made it, we tried it and we didn’t regret it.
So first up you need to make your crepes, after whisking together the ingredients it’s really best to let your batter rest for at least 30 mins, this helps the gluten relax and gives the resulting crepe a better texture. Making these crepes was one of the first times we got to give our new crepe maker a whirl (pick one up for yourself here), we normally just use a pan but were surprised by how easy this was to use, the biggest plus was definitely being able to set it at a constant temperature (also you get to use one of those twirly things to spread the batter and feel like a Parisian street food trader).
So spread your batter out in the pan/crepe maker and allow to cook for about 1-2 mins, then flip. Whilst still in the pan drizzle over some Marmite (we popped ours in the microwave as it makes it runnier and easier to drizzle onto the crepe) then sprinkle over the cheddar and fold your crepe in half, this helps the cheese melt. Once your cheese is all melted and the crepe is fully cooked then fold it into third and transfer to a plate. We then drizzled over some more Marmite for a little artistic finish and then tucked in and enjoyed the cheesey marmite crepe heaven.
- 30g butter melted
- 30g sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 tsp Marmite
- 100g grated cheddar
- Place the sugar and flour in a bowl and create a well in the middle.
- In a jug mix together the milk, melted butter, then crack the egg into the dry ingredient bowl, and begin mixing.
- Whilst mixing gradually pour the milk and butter into the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until well combined and there are no lumps.
- With a non-stick crepe or frying pan on a medium high heat, pour about 2/3 cup of batter into the pan and swivel so that the whole base of the pan is covered.
- Cook until the top loses its shine then flip.
- Whilst still in the pan drizzle over some Marmite (it helps to microwave it so that its a bit looser in consistency) and then sprinkle over the cheddar, leave for about 30 secs then fold in half and cook for a further 30 secs to 1 min.
- Fold into thirds and transfer to a plate, drizzle with a little more Marmite if you want then serve!