So recently we partook in one of our favourite activities with some friends… Brunch! In honour of the occasion we chose to do some baking, specifically we baked some breakfast sausage rolls.
There’s just something magical about brunch, it combines many of our favourite things (cooked breakfast items, pastries and the potential for daytime drinking). These little pieces of pastry goodness are an elevation of the humble sausage roll. Along with the usual sausage meat we have added bacon, egg and a little brown sauce to create a single mouthful of cooked breakfast. As well as being perfect for brunch they would also be ideal for breakfast on the go or as a yummy snack.
- 350g puff pastry
- 300g sausage meat
- 240g streaky bacon (12 rashers)
- 3 eggs
- Splash of milk
- Brown sauce (if desired)
- Roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle approx. 2-3 mm thick.
- Cut the bacon rashers in half and lay them in 2 lines on the pastry.
- If you want to add brown sauce, add it now and spread into a thin layer over the bacon.
- Create 2 long thin sausages out of the sausage meat and lay on top of the bacon.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk, set a little aside for brushing over the tops before baking.
- Scramble the eggs until almost cooked.
- Spread in a thin line next to the sausage meat.
- Cut the pastry in half between the rows of bacon and brush egg on the edges.
- Roll the 2 halves into long sausage rolls and cut up into pieces of your desired size, we chose to do little bitesize ones.
- Bake at 220°c for 20 mins, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool before serving!
We chose to use ready made puff pastry as it meant this could be a nice quick and easy bake to show you guys but if you feel like making your own puff pastry it would probably make these even more delicious.