Fun fact, combining sausage rolls with cheeseburgers creates the most delicious snack!
So we’re no stranger to a sausage roll variation, we’ve put a couple up on the blog before like the breakfast ones or these with smoky paprika and chorizo or even a vegetarian version filled with falafel mix! This time around we decided to covert one of our favourite meals into a pastry encased treat! And so we have the bacon cheese burger sausage roll, with our homemade burger sauce to dip.
So step one, is getting your burger meat mix ready, we took some high quality beef mince and mixed it with chopped up smoked streaky bacon, salt and pepper, some garlic, celery salt and a little chili powder and then added our go to ingredient for the tastiest sausage rolls – some brown sauce! (It’s the secret for awesome sausage rolls every time! If you don’t have any you can ad a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce instead).
Now onto the rolling, get your pastry nice and thin, we aim for about 2-3mm thick, in a large rectangle that you can then cut in half length ways so you get two strips of sausage rolls. We then sprinkled on some grated cheddar and on top of the put down an even layer of the burger meat flattened down a little, then some more grated cheddar down the centre of that. As we rolled the pastry round the the meat we tried to encase the grated cheddar on top with the meat so that it was running through the centre of the sausage rolls as well as between the meat and pastry from the first cheese we put down. We tried to do this so that we could get cheese in every bite. You can also mix it through the meat mix but you don’t get as concentrated a cheese flavour coming though when it’s so dispersed. Once we’d rolled them up we egg washed them and then instead of the usual poppy seeds we sprinkle on top we went for sesame like you’d get on a burger bun!
Once your rolls are baked and looking golden frown and delicious, you’re gonna want some burger sauce dip to go with them (trust us). It’s so easy to make, involves a few ingredients and then you’ve just gotta mix it up! And you’re done! This sauce is the kind of stuff we make and bottle so that we always have it on hand, if you want to get involved in that action then just rinse out an empty condiment squeezey bottle and pour it in, it’ll keep in the fridge for a couple weeks.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sauce
- 150g cheddar cheese
- 500g puff pastry
- 4 tbsp mayonaise
- 1 tbsp american mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- Slice the bacon into small pieces and put into a bowl with the beef mince, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and brown sauce and mix together with your hands to fully combine.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry into a large rectangle approximately 25x35cm and about 2-3mm thick and cut in half length-ways.
- Sprinkle over half of the cheddar, then place the meat mixture on top, running down the middle of each strip of pastry, flattened down slightly, sprinkle the rest of the cheddar down the middle of the meat.
- Egg was down one side of the pastry and then from the other side, roll the pastry over the meat so that it is encased stick the pastry together when it reaches the egg washed strip.
- With the pastry seam underneath cut into 8-10cm long pieces and transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Egg wash each sausage roll and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top.
- Bake at 200C for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together till fully combined.
- Decant into small dipping dishes to serve if you want!